Thursday, June 25, 2009

This Week of Loss is an Important Reminder

This week is a week of significant loss and remembrance of several amazing celebrities and role models - Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. All distinct causes, yet equally riveting and providing us with a reminder of our own mortality.

When I was diagnosed at age 29 with breast cancer the reality of the disease's potential impact to my life and family's future was a startling experience. We were blessed to have the opportunity to take advantage of many new treatment options - 2 of which my oncologist regularly associates with my survivorship. It is so important to support and continue making strides with cancer research and treatment options. This is a primary goal of the Susan G Komen organization.

This year Susan G Komen Milwaukee Race for the Cure will incorporate some of the race's fund-raising efforts towards providing treatment options to uninsured and/or under served men and women. I applaud their support of those in need. I have seen first hand the expense of cancer treatments. I cannot imagine not having insurance and making treatment decisions based on cost versus potential outcome.

Recently a friend made me aware of some new research break throughs. Take a look at this article (not associated with the Susan G Komen organization) and let me know your thoughts:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31512315/ns/health-womens_health/

Cheers to survivorship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment