Monday, June 1, 2009

Brewers Honorary Bat Girl

Me and my husband JarodSunday, May 10, 2009: Today I went to the Brewers vs. Cubs game as the Milwaukee Brewers Honorary Bat Girl. I was selected by Major League Baseball and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. I have been a Survivor for almost 4 years and this was definitely a highlight.

The day started with batting practice; my husband, Jarod, and I were right on the field behind home plate. It was awesome to see the field from a player’s view. After practice I hung out in the AirTran Landing Zone and met a lot of really great people, including Sue Rapp (Komen Milwaukee Board President), Virgie Hall (Bill Hall’s mother) and many Survivors and Co-Survivors. I was also able to catch up with some amazing women whom I had volunteered with on the Komen Race Board in past years. Bill Hall had purchased all of the tickets in the AirTran Landing Zone and donated them to Komen. His mother explained to me that a few years back he hit a game winning home run on Mother’s Day with a pink bat and after learning more about Komen he decided that it was a great organization for him to give back to. Thank you, Bill – You Rock!

Next, I was honored during the pre-game ceremony on the field. Komen was presented with a donation from Bill Hall and Brewers Charities. We were told that we would only be on the field for a few minutes, but it would feel like forever – and they were right, it seemed like all eyes were on us for a very long time. It was very cool and such an honor to represent Komen. I had so much fun and my family was very proud. I will never forget the cheering and overall excitement in the crowd. What a feeling!

The Brewers went on to play a really exciting game, but unfortunately lost. I love how certain players use pink bats and wear pink cleats and pink wrist bands. It is very cool to see a group of elite male athletes spreading awareness about breast cancer and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The attention it draws is huge. Despite the ending score, I had an absolutely wonderful day and was on cloud nine.

Many thanks to Major League Baseball, Bill Hall and the Milwaukee Brewers, and Susan G. Komen for the Cure for selecting me as Honorary Bat Girl and making a dream come true! Special thanks to Jarod, Jean Schuch and all of my family and friends for voting.

Me with my nephew Noah

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jill! What a special and much deserved moment for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...that's really cool! Congratulations. One for the memory bank...

    AK

    ReplyDelete