Thursday, October 10, 2013


Take Action Thursdays highlight everyday people who have chosen to take an extra step in the fight against breast cancer.  How will you Take Action?Today, meet Kimberly Mann pictured below with 3 year old Olivia.  See if you can relate as she describes what she calls "many lame excuses" for not getting a mammogram and what inspired her to change all that....



Recently I had my first mammogram at the age of 41 ½. Yes, I delayed getting my mammogram for an entire year and a half despite my increased risk for breast cancer. My maternal grandmother is an 18-year breast cancer survivor. 

One would think that would make me very motivated to have my annual screenings. I have many reasons for not going to get my mammogram; honestly looking back at it, they are all really lame: I’m a healthy person, I exercise every single day, I work full-time, I’m a part-time Master’s student, I have three children in multiple activities, I am busy, busy, busy taking care of everyone else! There just wasn’t time to go and get a mammogram.

This summer I made time to take care of me by getting my first mammogram. What finally motivated me to go? Looking back on it, it was a simple conversation with a group of ladies after my aerobics class. These ladies were complementing me on being a good example to my three year old daughter by taking her to my exercise classes, pushing her in a stroller as I run, towing her behind my bike, and having her swim with me when I swim laps. 


One of my friends was off to get her mammogram after class. She asked me where I go to get my mammogram. I had to answer, “Nowhere, I’ve never been!” My friend turned to me and said, “So much for that good example for your daughter! Go and schedule it today!”

That was all it took, someone pointing out to me that I needed to be a better example to my three-year old daughter. I scheduled my mammogram that very day. I vow to go every single year so that I can be a good example to my daughter. I will take care of me!


No comments:

Post a Comment